C. Erickson & Sons, Inc.
2200 Arch Street, Suite 200
Philadelphia, PA 19103

ph 215.568.3120
fax 215.496.9460

 
       
 
Restoring a Piece of Philadelphia's History
 
Return to All News & Releases
 

 

In the winter of 2010, a fire caused significant damage to the First Troop Philadelphia City Cavalry Armory, home to the oldest active U.S. military unit in continuous service.

Built in 1901 and listed in the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places, the castle-like Armory remains home to an active National Guard presence, and required a historically sensitive approach in order to not just repair but restore and preserve its smoke- and water-damaged interiors.

C. Erickson & Sons teamed with Wilmington-based architects, Tevebaugh Associates, Schade Engineering, and Mulhern Engineering, to tackle the two-phased, 18,000 square foot restoration. Work was carried out during partial occupancy of the Armory, and included demolition, removal and replacement of damaged plaster and lath walls, hardwood flooring, ceilings and exterior windows. All work was reviewed and approved for historic accuracy.

Some of the original tongue-and-groove flooring was salvaged and remilled for use in the Armory’s mezzanine lounge, with new handicap-accessible restrooms added on three floors to bring the building up to modern ADA standards. Additional infrastructure, mechanical, eletrical and plumbing branch systems were replaced throughout the building.

The Armory’s rehabilitated interiors are a testimony both to the resilience of the last century’s historic construction, and the skilled architects, engineers and craftsmen whose efforts restored them to their original glory.

 

click below to view the complete
project profile

 

First Troop of Philadelphia City Cavalry
Armory Restoration & Reconstruction

OWNER
First Troop of Philadelphia City Cavalry
ARCHITECT
Tevebaugh Associates
ENGINEER
Schade Engineering




 

 
 
  © 2015 C. Erickson & Sons, Inc.